Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Challenge #171 Courage

Courage. I immediately think of my boys when the word courage comes up.  My eldest son faced death at the very young age of 24. He met it and dealt with it on his own terms and finally submitted to it gracefully with strength and courage.  His younger brother was courageous as he donated stem cells for transplant, magical brownies and being by his side to the very end.  He continues to be courageous in his ability to continue on with  his own life after a loss that was so very hard to bare.  Courage is something I think about almost daily because of my boys and I have learned from what they have shown me.





This is a simple tile, drawn with two tangles. One, designed by myself after my son, Austin, passed away called unme and one I came across only recently that so fits my youngest son, as he was born on the 5th of May, or as many people know it as "Cinco de Mayo" the tangle Ole'.


15 comments:

  1. A beautiful artwork in honor of your Sons. Well done, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the loss of your son, it needs a lot of courage to deal with loss of someone special in your life. The tile is a beautiful tribute to both of your sons. Thanks for sharing your story. Have strength and courage for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply stunning - what a great way to honor him. And I love what you did with Unme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tile and am moved to learn of its meaning. My condolences on your son's premature death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your tile and your story. What an amazing tribute to both your sons and to you as a Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tribute, beautiful work. YOUR courage gives ME strength. God bless you, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Striking AND soft is your tile for courage. I hear your "mama bear" love and strength! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wallop of tears when I read your post!!! Sounds like you have awesome sons!!! May you and your younger son continue that strength and courage! It takes courage to write a post about Austin. You did a magnificent job on your beads of courage tile and with such love!!!!! ((((Hugs)))) :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Debra, I am so sorry that your son passed at such a young age. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain you have been through. You must be a proud myom to see such courage in both of your sons and to see the younger one continue on in spite of the great loss. Beautiful tile and tribute...will pray for your family...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful tribute to your two sons. Your story tells us about huge courage, but it also tells me about your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed, I thought of you when this challenge came up. What a beautiful tribute to your sons here, Debra. From a very courageous mother. Much love, Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all for your lovely comments and support.

      Delete